From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2012 - 05:50:48 CDT

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 2:21 AM, javacfish <javacfish_at_yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I had installed Tk, tk-devel, tcl, tcl-devel and python. I download VMD
> ( Linux (64-bit Intel/AMD x86) with CUDA). But when I run gopython in the
> vmd console, the err happens as below.
> What is wrong with it? Does it need python
> library http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/pythonlib, but there is
> no suitable library for vmd 1.9.1? Or is there anyway to solve this problem?

this has been discussed several times on this list.
python run time libraries are compatible enough
between platforms for this to work reasonably.

so if you want python support in VMD, you have
to compile VMD for your local python installation
from source.

axel.

> Sincerely,
> javacfish

> vmd > gopython
> Info) Starting Python...
> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> ValueError: vmdnumpy module not available.
> Info) Text interpreter now Python
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/home/bai/soft/vmd/lib/vmd/scripts/python/Tkinter.py", line 59, in
> <module>
>     import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
> ImportError: No module named _tkinter
>>>>
> Info) Text interpreter now Tcl

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer
College of Science and Technology