From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 13:26:15 CST

Hi,
  Yes, in fact here in our lab we install the VMD binaries on the
main file servers, and none of the workstations have it installed
locally. The important part is for VMD to _run_ locally. The program
itself be installed on a file server and still run just fine however.
In our lab all of the workstations are served by a cluster of Suns
which export the filesystems via NFS. All of the Linux, Sun, SGI,
and other machines mount those filesystems over the network. This
way I install new versions of VMD in only one place and they immediately
become available to all of the users on the network.

Thanks,

[getting peak performance from VMD discussion...]