From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2012 - 10:09:48 CDT

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM, arun kumar <arunjones.kumar89_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was trying to add frames from .xtc file of gromacs but instead of full
>
> Segmentation fault (Core dumped)
>
> can any one please say what is the problem and how to solve it.

no. segmentation fault is a generic error.
it is impossible to pinpoint this easily.

it may be that you are running out of stack
space and would need to adjust the ulimit
accordingly, or you may have touched a
bug somewhere or have a corrupted file.

what you could do to identify the reason
would be to run VMD with the -debug option
which will drop you into a debugger, then
type "run" at the debugger prompt and then
redo the steps that will lead to the segfault.

once the segfault happens, get dropped back
into the debugger where you can type:
where

which should print out a so called stack trace.
please cut and paste the stack trace into
a reply to this message, and folks can have
a look and try to better guess what the
problem may be.

axel.

--