From: Andrew Jewett (jewett.ai_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2012 - 15:41:25 CDT

since nobody else has answered yet...

"vi" is the toughest text editor which I know about.
(A similar program "vim" is available in windows, but you're safer
avoiding windows for this.)
Even if you can open them in "vi" or "vim", I worry it might be very
slow very time you want to make changes and commit them to disk (:w).

Instead I'd try splitting the trajectory into (many) pieces using
"split" or "csplit".
This might be probably a good idea anyway.
http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils#split-invocation
http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils#csplit-invocation
(There might be better splitter programs out there.)
I hope this helps
Cheers
Andrew