From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 16:14:49 CDT

Hi,
  The Axes being disabled are really only a temporary workaround,
as other things can also cause the slowdown, but I've already rewritten
the sphere rendering code in VMD to avoid this problem in the next
version of VMD (1.8.2), so the next version will perform much better
in call cases, and having the Axes on or off should not trigger this
performance problem ever again.

Thanks,
  John