From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2012 - 12:32:41 CDT

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Engelman, Joshua
<joshengelman_at_vistamarschool.org> wrote:
> For reference, a few images:
> First frame: http://tinypic.com/r/10xt5zd/5
> Around 2 seconds: http://tinypic.com/r/r8e1at/5
> 4 seconds/last frame:

a few comments:

- image quality depends largely on how much motion
 (or rather change between the individual snapshots)
 happens. the more and the faster atoms move, the
 worse the image quality gets

- different compression tools work differently.
  you didn't say what platform/tool you are using.
  so it is difficult to give advice.

- images with many details and contrasts don't
  compress well. if you don't use a large color map,
  an animated gif might work better for you than
  an mpeg type compression.

axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer