From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 02 2012 - 07:52:24 CST

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 6:49 AM, thereal sisterdot
<therealsisterdot_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> hey,
>
> Axel, Ajasja, John thanks for your help!
> as i did not get an error message i was not sure in which direction to look!
>
> you are right CUDA isn't it.
>
> "display projection orthographic" did not change much.
>
> the graphics driver suggestion seems to be it :-)
> tried on other machines and there it worked :-o
> stupid me should have tried that earlier...
>
> it does not seem to depend on:
> a) GLSL rendering mode or not
> b) OpenGL renderer: Software Rasterizer or
> OpenGL renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Q45/Q43 GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3

o dear. this is using an old intel chipset graphics hardware.
and you probably installed the worst possible driver.

> i should say- i am still running Ubuntu 9.10 (scared of unity)...
> and VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9 (March 14, 2011)...
>
> i will upgrade and report back...

there is not much hope. outside of supporting compositing,
the developers for the intel chipset graphics OpenGL support
don't seem to cae about it much. i've been using laptops with
intel chipset graphics for many, many years now and the
situation going back and forth between almost acceptable
and absolutely horrible. if you want to keep doing serious
VMD work on a laptop, get a different one. even if the driver
will become better, its performance will still be lacking.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer