From: Izrailev, Sergei (Sergei.Izrailev_at_3dp.com)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 09:03:14 CDT

John,

As I mentioned before, I stopped by the CAChe booth at the ACS meeting
and looked at this laptop. The 3d graphics looks somewhat like a hologram.
There is indeed a button that turns the "stereo" on and off.
The quality of the picture is somewhat questionable, and they didn't
have their demo with molecular graphics running that day, so I can't tell
that it was spectaular, but it doesn't need any glasses.

The middleware that actually allows the 3D display is DDD's Tridef
stereo software. I have no idea what it is, but apparently they can render
OpenGL on this laptop.

>From DDD's website it looks like the middleware converts 2D image to 3D,
rather than rendering a 3D scene into 3D, but I may be wrong. Apparently,
they target marketing, advertising and entertainment (including 3D TV).
However, they partnered with SGI last July (see
http://www.ddd.com/aboutus/releases/pr_03jul02.asp ) Here's what it says
about OpenGL:

"TriDef Visualizer enables an OpenGL interactive computer graphics software
application to deliver output suitable for presentation on a 3D display
without the software developer having to change the application code."

Another quote (from their press release with CAChe):

"Using DDD's unique approach, the CAChe molecular modeling software,
developed in OpenGL, has been integrated with the latest 3D LCD
and plasma displays without making any changes to the CAChe software
application."

So it might well be that VMD would work on that display as well as
any other OpenGL applications. Unless, of course "without any changes" is
not entirely accurate :-)

I didn't copy Ioana on this message since it really doesn't answer her
question.

Cheers,

Sergei