From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 16:05:49 CDT

Dear John,
  While you can't open a pipe to VMD, you can certainly connect to it
with a socket and send it commands that way, via a simple Tcl script.
Here's an example script that lets one VMD session control another
in real-time over a socket, this particular example is done via Tcl however:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/vmdcollab/

Let me know if you need help getting something going...

Thanks,