From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 11:03:20 CDT

Jerome,
  As Esben mentioned, you should see a red light on your emitter.
If you don't see the red light, then the video board isn't supplying power
(or you've got an incorrect cable or emitter type) to the emitter.
You should be certain that your hardware is working before you spend
much time worrying about VMD itself. If you don't get a red light, you'll
need to check that the emitter is compatible with the cabling on the
video board, and that you've got the video driver settings in place
to enable stereo. Most video boards don't send out power on the stereo
port unless the active video mode is actually stereo capable, so you
ought to be able to see the emitter go red even without VMD running.

If you determine that all is well with the hardware, then you need to
do the 'setenv VMDPREFERSTEREO 1' step before you run VMD. When VMD
starts, you should get "STEREO" listed as one of the OpenGL features
it found. If you don't see this, then the video driver is not providing
a stereo visual that VMD can use, for some reason. A potential cause of
that sort of problem could be attempting to run at too high of a display
resolution, as most NVidia video boards don't have enough video memory
to run in quad-buffered stereo at the highest resolutions, while also
providing stencil buffers, etc.

Thanks,