From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2011 - 13:15:19 CST

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Bjoern Olausson
<namdlist_at_googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi VMD users,

hi bjoern,

> I am wondering if it is possible to suppress all the "Info)" line VMD throws
> at me when I run the following command from my TCL-Script
>
> mol new ${f} type {pdb} first 0 last -1 step 1 waitfor all
> Info) Using plugin pdb for structure file candidate_50000_12606.pdb
> Info) Using plugin pdb for coordinates from file candidate_50000_12606.pdb
> Info) Determining bond structure from distance search ...
> Info) Finished with coordinate file candidate_50000_12606.pdb.
> Info) Analyzing structure ...
> Info)    Atoms: 3321
> Info)    Bonds: 3353
> Info)    Angles: 0  Dihedrals: 0  Impropers: 0  Cross-terms: 0
> Info)    Bondtypes: 0  Angletypes: 0  Dihedraltypes: 0  Impropertypes: 0
> Info)    Residues: 206
> Info)    Waters: 0
> Info)    Segments: 1
> Info)    Fragments: 2   Protein: 2   Nucleic: 0
>
> Is there either a TCL trick to redirect the output to /dev/null or an option I
> can pass to VMD to stop printing this stuff (turn it of generally)?

only if you are willing to compile a custom VMD executable for yourself.

there is a feature called VMDCON in the VMD sources, that is normally
not compiled
into any VMD binaries that allows to set a loglevel (e.g. suppress
Info) but not Warning))
or redirection of all console messages to a Tk text widget (e.g. a separate
read-only Log Window, or TkCon). for this to be 100% effective, though, all
Tk/Tcl plugins need to be converted to use "vmdcon" instead of "puts" and
similarly most molfile plugins need to be changed to use vmdcon_printf()
instead of the regular i/o subroutines.

cheers,
    axel.

--