From: Anthony Rey (arey_at_etud.insa-toulouse.fr)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2011 - 06:55:06 CDT

Hi all,

I use VMD on a Mac OS X version 10.6.8.

I want to run gedit through my Tcl/Tk console but can't figure out out
to do it. I made an alias in my .bashrc file and it does work in my
Terminal:

alias gedit ' /Applications/gedit.app/Contents/MacOS/gedit ';

I thought that I just had to copy this alias into the .vmdrc file to be
able to run gedit through the Tcl/Tk console....but it doesn't work:

I obtain the following error message:

/usr/bin/alias: line 4: alias: gedit: not found
/usr/bin/alias: line 4: alias: ': not found
/usr/bin/alias: line 4: alias:
/Applications/gedit.app/Contents/MacOS/gedit: not found
/usr/bin/alias: line 4: alias: ': not found
child process exited abnormally

How could I possibly run gedit (as well as other packages such as
xmtrace etc..) through the Tk/Tcl console in VMD?

Thanks very much for your help,

Tony