From: Christian Wohlschlager (Christian.Wohlschlager_at_jku.at)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2011 - 01:18:13 CDT

** Reply Requested When Convenient **

Dear VMD'ler !

I have also access to a display wall 9 m x 2,5 m ,they are addressed by
X11 as 0.1 0.2 0.3 with an overlap of 150 pixels , i use CAVElib for
that issue and it warks fine i just have to write to the config file
that the offset is 150 Pixels less than the xmax before --> then it
works .

christian

Christian Wohlschlager
JKU Universität Linz
Altenbergerstr.69
4040 Linz
Austria

>>> Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey_at_gmail.com> 9/29/2011 2:46 AM >>>
dear tom,

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Thomas Bishop <bishop_at_latech.edu>
wrote:
> Dear VMD,
>
> I have access to a display wall. I haven't tried to use it yet but a
quick
> skim of manual says I can't do
> trajectory animations but only rotations etc...(if I read it
correclty)

why not?

> What if instead of a single trajectory or molecular image displayed
> across the entire wall , I want to display results from an ensemble
of
> calculations... say
> I have a tiled display wall of 16 monitors and I have 16 simulations
> each w/ nearly identical molecs and trajectory data but DIFF
simulations.

> Is there a simple way to control separate instances of VMD (one for
each
> monitor ) w/ a single GUI s.t the rotations, animations, selections
in
> one are used for all instances?

that really depends on how you address the individual screens.
with X11 one do some pretty nifty manipulations via "xprop" or
the "wm" command that comes with Tk. i'm using a hack like
that to have the VMD OpenGL window reflect the name to the
current "top" molecule.
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/random-hacks/vmd-initialization-scripts#TOC-Molecule-Name-in-Window-Title

similar things can be done to remove "decorations" and go fullscreen
or change position and geometry. in part this is also available as
part of the native "menu" and "display" commands in VMD.

however, there is something to be said about having one
huge VMD display. we recently managed to hook up
three projectors to project on a cylindrical screen for
doing interactive MD with VMD. however that requires
special software and a hacked VMD version that can
account for the overlap of the projectors and the distortion
due to the bent screen.
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/news-and-announcements/vmdmulti-projectoroutputforinteractivemd
now if only stereo would have worked, too.
(VMD the GPUs were set up for it, but one of
the projectors had a firmware issue).

cheers,
   axel.

--