From: Tim Travers (tstravers_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2011 - 12:26:14 CDT

Hi Mert,

I think VMD uses STRIDE to generate secondary structure assignments for New
Cartoon (and maybe also New
Ribbon) representations. Apparently STRIDE uses backbone dihedral angles to
make these assignments, so I'm
guessing that you'll at least need the backbone atoms to get the
representations you want.

If you have the full trajectories, then maybe you could extract the backbone
atom coordinates (similar perhaps to
how you extracted the alpha-C coordinates), and use this for viewing in VMD.

HTH,
Tim