From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2011 - 10:39:19 CDT

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Federico Filomia
<filomia.federico_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using a quadro fx1300 graphic card on a linux RHEL4 64bit workstation.
> When I run vmd-1.8.9 I can read this warning message in the terminal:
> Info) Multithreading available, 2 CPUs detected.
> Info) Free system memory: 1719MB (85%)
> Info) No CUDA accelerator devices available.
> Info) OpenGL renderer: Quadro FX 1300/PCI/SSE2
> Info)   Features: STENCIL MSAA(16) MDE CVA MTX PP PS GLSL(OVF)
> Warning) GPU driver failed to compile shader:
> Warning)   /home/linux/vmd-1.9/inst/lib/vmd/shaders/vmd
> Warning) This GPU/driver is buggy, or doesn't fully implement GLSL.
> Warning) Set environment variable VMDGLSLVERBOSE for more info.
> Info)   GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.
>
> I tried different vmd versions and different nvidia original drivers
> (older to newer), but I can't fix this issue.
> This is very frustrating because I can't obtain nice images as with
> other systems with different quadro graphic cards.
> I also tried to search for a solution on internet but I was not able
> to find a solution .

actually, to get the nicest images (in my personal opinion)
you can just defer the rendering to one of the supported
ray tracers. they'll operate independent from OpenGL and
often produce much better images but may need significantly
longer when advanced features like ambient occlusion are
enabled.

cheers,
      axel.

--