From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 17 2011 - 16:52:34 CDT

hi tatyana,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Tatyana Sysoeva
<tatyanasysoeva_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I searched the VMD-L list archive and could not find an answer which works
> for me.
>
> I am trying to install VMD 1.8.3 on Fedora14.

why vmd-1.8.3? this version is more than obsolete.

>>uname -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.35.13-92.fc14.i686 #1 SMP Sat May 21
> 17:39:42 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I downloaded a package from
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/Download/download.cgi
> LINUX OpenGL (Linux (32-bit, RHEL4 or later)). I did not change the
> configure file and just sourced it in the terminal. After that I cded to src
> folder and typed "make install".
> I double checked that vmd file is in usr/local/bin, and that this path is in
> $PATH.
>
> [Tanya_at_localhost ~]$ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
>
> First time after typing vmd in the terminal - some process started but an
> error message appeared with XTERM missing. I installed with yum the XTERM.
> After this change after typing vmd I see next message.

current VMD versions on linux don't require an xterm anymore.

>>vmd
> [1] 5666
> [Tanya_at_localhost ~]$ Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type
> FontStruct
> xterm: cannot load font
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1

this appears more to be a problem of xterm than of VMD
and that is one of the reasons why current VMD versions
don't require xterm anymore.

> I apologize for my naive questions and am looking for help !
> What am I doing wrong and how I can install VMD 1.8.3 on my machine?

first off, you should try installing vmd-1.9.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer