From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2011 - 15:24:30 CDT

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Lalit <upmunyu_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Axel,
>
> Yes, that worked! Thanks!!
>
> The generated {.top} as well as {.tpr}  files are suitable to use for
> analysis.
>
> Moreover, one may please check the response I got from gromacs-mailing list
> (especially about the number of atoms ought to be there in a charge group
> based upon functional group):
>
> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2011-June/061989.html

the top file that is generated is deliberately set up so that
it will generate complete nonsense if run as a real MD.

so, as justin pointed out, it doesn't matter for analysis,
it just needs to be set up in a way so that it generates
a usable tpr file. right now the heuristics are set up to
generate charge groups that are either neutral or have
an integer charge. that may turn out to be helpful for
some -- currently not existing -- analysis. but it also
enforces the required limit.

i think this is good enough. just arbitrarily choosing
a few atoms, may be more difficult, particularly in
the way you have ordered the atoms. having to do
reordering would be much worse.

cheers,
    axel.

--