From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 15:56:52 CDT

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Cosseddu, Salvatore
<S.M.Cosseddu_at_warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
> Sorry, is it possible that there's a small bug in some vmd 1.9 plugin
> Makefiles?
>
> According to
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/doxygen/compiling.html and to
> the general Makefile, if NETCDFLIB and NETCDFINC are not declared, vmd could
> be compiled without netcdf. But catdcd requires the library to be linked to
> compile as you can see from this error. The compilation aborts.

not declaring is not sufficient to disable it.
you have to define those variables to be empty.

> #$ make LINUXAMD64 TCLINC=$TCLINC TCLLIB=$TCLLIB

try: make LINUXAMD64 TCLINC=$TCLINC TCLLIB=$TCLLIB NETCDFLDFLAGS=""

>> src/sgsmooth.C: In function ‘float_vect lsqr_fprime(const float_vect&,
>> int)’:
>> src/sgsmooth.C:545: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
>> integer expressions
>> src/sgsmooth.C: In function ‘float_vect sg_derivative(const float_vect&,
>> int, int, double)’:
>> src/sgsmooth.C:567: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
>> integer expressions
>> src/sgsmooth.C:600: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
>> integer expressions
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lnetcdf
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[2]: *** [../compile/lib_LINUXAMD64/bin/catdcd4.0/catdcd] Errore 1
>> make[1]: *** [bins] Errore 1
>> make: *** [LINUXAMD64] Errore 2
>
> Best regards
> Salvatore Cosseddu
>
> Salvatore Cosseddu
> Centre for Scientific Computing and
> School of Engineering
> University of Warwick
> Coventry CV4 7AL
> United Kingdom
>
> email: S.M.Cosseddu_at_warwick.ac.uk
>
> Ps. I'm sorry if it is a repost but I received a failure notice.

you'll always receive failure notices due to some people
not unsubscribing from mailing lists when they move on.
you have to check carefully where the failure notice is coming from.

axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer