From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 13:54:23 CDT

laura,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Adkins, Laura R <adkinsl_at_alfred.edu> wrote:
> Axel,
>
> This xyz file was created by VMD from my DLPOLY history file, and so I assume the labels just carried over from the previous file.
> I attempted the file after deleting signs and after deleting the charge values in addition to the signs.  In both cases, I get the same error.
>
> vmd > topo readvarxyz test4.xyz
> Info) readvarxyz: read in 6 frames requiring 19500 atoms storage.
> Type map: O Te Fe Xe Rn Kr Ne
> Max type counts: 12904 24 72 6388 4 92 16
> can't read "a": no such variable
>
> I've searched the file but can find no instance of the letter "a".  I've attached test4.xyz in case there's some other formatting issue.

no, this is not a formatting issue. you are running to a known bug
in the topotools-1.1 plugin that is bundled with VMD 1.9.

i have since fixed the code to better handle atom names with
non-alphanumeric characters. you can download an updated
version of topotools from this page.

http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/software/topotools/

axel.