From: Joshua A. Anderson (joaander_at_umich.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 07:09:37 CDT

Hi list,

I'm trying out the new X3DOM export (its pretty cool). Has anyone else run into performance issues with exporting VDW representations? Have you found a solution?

VMD sensibly emits a <Sphere> node for each sphere in the representation. But the rendering ( at least in Firefox 4 ) uses a ridiculous number of triangles for each sphere and display performance suffers. The little x3dom status display reports over 2 million triangles in a tiny 1800 particle test model I exported.
--------
Joshua A. Anderson, Ph.D.
Chemical Engineering Department, University of Michigan