From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2011 - 00:12:54 CST

Hi Giacomo:
OK, this confirms authoritatively what I imagined for a restraint.

>From this firm position, at large, I certainly need to restrain
through colvars the hydrogen bonds and partners. This is a must for
Cl-, which - unlike in nature - has no pool to replace it when it
leaves the protein. My problem is to build correctly the hydrogen
bonds in the frame of VMD/NAMD. Let me detail how I did with the GLUP
patches. Starting from negatively charged GLU, in "Autopsf - Add
Patch" I entered, for example:

Patch type: GLUP, Segment 1: P1, Residue 1: 277

this led to the added proton being in the unfavorable position that I
described, although the psf/pdb could be minimized and heated.

Previously, I also filled in "Autopsf - Add Patch", in addition to the above,

Segment 2 (opt) ... Residue 2:....

for the intended acceptor of Segment 1, Residue 1

at no avail as far as the H-bond is concerned. This latter action in
an imitation of the DISU patch, where both S atoms of the S-S bond are
set in.
************

What I hope is that there is a mistake in my procedure, and be
corrected about. Otherwise suggestions how to set correctly H-bonds in
VMD/NAMD along a different route. As I said, I came to NAMD with
correct PDB files - from REDUCE or other - as far as H-bonds are
concerned. However, files strictly respecting PDB rules and, in
addition, also with some non CHARMM naming, which I tried to correct.
I was unable to arrive at workable psf/pdb along this route. Finally,
I could also correct the autopsf.pdb by repositioning the proton in
between GLU and the acceptor, be that the conjugate base or Cl-, with
a graphic package. However, this also failed - in my hands - to arrive
at workable psf/pdb.

thanks
francesco