From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2011 - 15:28:46 CST

Dow,
  My link just contains a simple example structure (about 10MB download,
so you may need to be patient):
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/files/x3dom/vmdscene.html

Give it a spin and let me know if it works for you or not.

That said, once this type of example works on a good range
of browsers, one can do a lot more with adding programmatic
button controls, to turn rep styles on/off, pick things, etc.
The sorts of things are about half-way towards what can be done
in a full-fledged program, but all within a web browser,
and without needing a plugin.

Cheers,
  John