From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2011 - 12:38:38 CST

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 12:24 -0500, Dow Hurst wrote:

dow,

> I read on the vmd-1.9 changelogs a blurb about an android Java client,
> but haven't found any other mention of this. Is there any possibility

this must have been related to using smartphones as
advanced input devices to control a running VMD session.

> of a 3D molecular viewer for android based on vmd? Right now, for

i suspect that it would take a significant effort to
make a 10-ton elephant like VMD fit into a smartphone.
have you looked into jmol? out of the available software
that would what i would try first.

> the android platform, there are no usable 3D protein or small molecule
> viewers. I'm looking for something that would show sidechains and
> ribbons for proteins but haven't found anything yet.

how "interactive" do you need? rather than squeezing a big
application into a small device, i would consider a client-server
thing and do on-the-fly parallel rendering to serve jpeg
file through, e.g., a web-server with some (java script) controls.
check out, e.g., http://bass.cs.unc.edu/webapps/pdb/

cheers,
   axel.

--