From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2011 - 10:57:03 CST

Hi,
  We haven't changed anything in regards to the use of Surf in VMD, so
I am puzzled why you are finding that the behavior has changed since
VMD 1.8.7. We didn't develop Surf, and the code hasn't been modified
in years. Have you tried using MSMS rather than Surf? MSMS tends to
be more robust, but you'll have to download and install MSMS from the
Scripps web site.