From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 16:57:19 CST

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Phelan Jr., Frederick R. Dr.
<frederick.phelan_at_nist.gov> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to understand how to use the VMD Movie Generator, have been
> through the manual and UIUC website to no avail …
>

> If I click “Make Movie” without the atoms dynamically rendering, you get a

i don't understand what you mean by this?
using the "snapshot" renderer??
hmmm... could it be that you have a broken graphics driver?

what is your platform and VMD version?

> video consisting of 500 frames of frame 0. If you click the same with the
> atoms rendering, it is nigh impossible to start on the first frame.

i don't understand what you are saying. the movie maker is at its core
a very simple script that loops over the frames and renders them.

many people use it, so if there was something amiss, people would
have complained about it a long time ago.

can you be a bit more specific how and where things are not
going the way how you think they should.

> Is there some way to tell it to make the movie and please start on frame 0?

you can always write a small script of your own that loops over
all frames, calls the render command for each frame and then
either call a raytracer (or not), and processes the images into
a movie.

cheers,
    axel.

--