From: Francesco Oteri (francesco.oteri_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2011 - 15:37:34 CST

Dear VMD developers,
I attempted to analyze a MD trajectory with vmd but I've found two big
challenges:
1) VMD loads the entire trajectory and this causes a great time wasting
2) If the trajectory is too large, because of the memory usage, the PC
hangs and when it reaches the 85% VMD is killed by the OS.

I think that should be implemented an option that permit to load a
trajectory frame by frame.
In particular I think that vmd should load the first frame of the
trajectory and each time the informations about a frame are required,
the data should be loaded from the disk.

I know that the script "bigdcd" permits to bypass the problem but, in my
opinion, a native implementation of this feature should make easier to
use the MD analysis tools already present in VMD.

Francesco