From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 10:06:44 CST

Hi Ajasja,
  It's not off topic and nobody will flame you. :)
Doing 64-bit Windows builds is on my TODO list, but if I make one it will
only be considered "experimental" at present. I'll have to see how stable
Tcl/Tk/FLTK are on Windows x64 before I commit. I understand that you're
anxious to be able to use more physical memory, and I'm working on this stuff,
but I'm the only developer working on the core of VMD and these things take
time. I am planning to make another VMD release already this summer, and
64-bit Windows and MacOS X versions are two of the items slated for that
release. If I am able to get a 64-bit Windows build running well, I may make
it available as an experimental build for people to try out, but it won't
be an "official" binary for the imminent VMD 1.9 release.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that we always make test versions of
VMD available between official releases usually about once every week or
so, and so the instant I have a 64-bit Windows version, people will be able
to start using it regardless of how official it is.

Cheers,
  John