From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2011 - 19:26:31 CST

Dear VMD-L,
  I've just posted VMD 1.9 beta 1 for download.
At the present time I've only posted binaries for
the mainstream Linux, MacOS X, Solaris, and Windows
platforms, but more platforms will become available
in the next beta release.

Beta 1 is nearly feature-complete, with just a few items
expected to be added before release, but it is largely
representative of what the final 1.9 release will look like.

If you have trouble downloading, installing, or running
the beta versions, please let me know.

The full changelog for this beta version is posted here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.9/devel.html

I will be preparing a more concise page that summarizes the
new features of VMD 1.9 over the next several days. There
have been many improvements to the high-quality rendering related
features of VMD, improved support for acceleration with
GPUs and multi-core CPUs, support for MPI-based parallel
analysis scripting, and many of the VMD plugins have been
significantly updated and/or improved.