From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2011 - 08:55:05 CST

Nicolas,
  The mode names are case-sensitive, so you should have used:
display stereo Left
and
display stereo Reft

You can query the list of stereo mode names like this:
display get stereomodes

I should note that I've made some significant changes to the
stereo display modes for the next version of VMD, to enable support
for checkerboard DLP projectors, and other special modes, and to
separate the stereo mode from left/right eye swapping, just FYI.
The end result is that the mode names will be different in the next
version than they are in the old versions, so the query command will
be useful to you in the future as well.