From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2011 - 14:30:29 CST

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 14:32 -0500, Phelan Jr., Frederick R. Dr. wrote:
> Hi,

hi fred,

> We have a job which is essentially looking at the diffusion of a
> single FENE chain using LAMMPS. The output written in .lammpstrj
> format.

> For a chain of up to about 20 units, using the drawing method CPK
> displays both the bead and the bond between the beads. However, when
> you jump to some larger number (say N=100) all of a sudden the bonds
> disappear and only beads are displayed.

hmmm... i'd like to see a couple of files that show this
inconsistent behavior. it is likely to be related to something else.

> Is there any generic nethod for making sure bonds are displayed?

the lammps dump actually does not contain _any_ bonding information.
this is created through a heuristic guess process upon loading the
trajectory, but that is very difficult to get right due to the way
how VMD guesses bonds and the lack of suitable information.

a better way to handle this is to properly read in the bonding
information from a data file using the topotools plugin.
you may need to use a VMD alpha version or download and install it
from here http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/software/topotools

it may be convenient to set suitable atom names other information
through some VMD/tcl scripting and then write it out the result to
a .psf, .js or similar file format, that can be read in directly
and faster by VMD.

let us know if you need help with that.

cheers,
    axel.