From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 19:55:49 CDT

Hi,
  Justin and I have implemented a very preliminary "draw multiple frames"
superposition feature in an alpha version of VMD 1.8.2. If you'd like to
test it, I've posted it here for download here:
  ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/mdscope/vmd/alpha/

You can enable the new feature using the new "Draw Multiple Frames"
text input box in the "Trajectory" tab, or you can use the text command
described below. Note that the GUI is incomplete and will not update
the text box when you switch between reps. If you want something with
more polish to it, we'll probably have another new binary posted in a week
or so with a nicer implementation of this feature.

The way it works is: the user specifies a range of frames. This range
of frames is parsed and sent to the rep, which uses it to make a new
display list with the selected frames. Adding or deleting frames from
the molecule doesn't update the list or force a recalculation; since
recalculation is slow this is probably the right way to go.

There's one Tcl command to set the frames:
   mol drawframes molid repid <framespec>

framespec must be either "now", or else a list of Matlab-style elements
of the form n, beg:end, or beg:step:end. "now" restores the default
behavior of drawing just the current frame; the others give a frame range.
Each element is additive; thus you can specify "1:5 10:2:20", for example.

Let us know if you find this useful.

Thanks,