From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 13:33:43 CST

Very little in my .bashrc in this computer ssh linked to computing
machines. Other that the standard scripts, there is:

# enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
if [ -x /usr/bin/dircolors ]; then
    eval "`dircolors -b`"
    alias ls='ls --color=auto'
    #alias dir='dir --color=auto'
    #alias vdir='vdir --color=auto'

    #alias grep='grep --color=auto'
    #alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
    #alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'
fi

# some more ls aliases
#alias ll='ls -l'
#alias la='ls -A'
#alias l='ls -CF'

alias rm='rm -i'
alias wx='wxmacmolplt'

# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
    . /etc/bash_completion
fi

PCM_DIR="/home/francesco/pcm91"
export PCM_DIR
PATH="/home/francesco/pcm91:$PATH"; export PATH

PATH="/usr/local/chimera/bin:$PATH"; export PATH

PATH="/usr/local/bin/vmd:$PATH"; export PATH

#For hole

PATH=$PATH:~francesco/hole2/exe

VEGADIR=/usr/local/bin/Vega
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/bin/Vega
export VEGADIR
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
*****
********

There are in /usr/bin many kde-related executables that should have
been installed with k3b. One serves to launch kde outside its
environment (i use gnome but now neither the gnome baker nor brasero
work for me, while k3b works fine). I noticed this script only now,
following your input. Probably it is the key to the issue (hidden key
- if at all - not popularized):

#!/bin/sh
#
# Script for launching KDE4 applications from outside of the KDE4 desktop
#
# Modify this to match your specific needs, such as setting up needed
env. variables,
# and make sure this script is in $PATH (e.g. make a symlink if necessary).
#

exec "$@"

k3bsetup reads:

#!/usr/bin/sh