From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2010 - 16:33:55 CST

Hi,
  The 3-D capable laptops that use the consumer oriented GPU series have
the same limitations that the gaming oriented discrete GPUs have.
They will only work with full-screen OpenGL apps, and only under Windows
last I knew. There are a handful of laptops that have the professional
Quadro series GPUs in them, and that should be able to do stereoscopic
display for apps like VMD and various CAD programs etc, but they cost
quite a bit more. There should be a list of these hardware combinations
that support "professional 3D" on the NVIDIA and AMD web sites.

  vmd_at_s.uiuc.edu