From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 13:57:18 CDT

Hi,
  I must have missed this email while I was out of town at a conference,
but I'm slowly going through my huge inbox and catching up on the emails
that nobody else already answered...

The PSF format used by NAMD (and psfgen) is a variant of the
X-PLOR PSF format. It differs from the CHARMM format in that
CHARMM stores parameter file atom type indices in the atom type
fields whereas NAMD and X-PLOR store strings there that are then
matched against the parameter files, to indicate the atom type.