From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2010 - 08:19:49 CDT

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 13:22 +0100, Christian Wohlschlager wrote:
> Hy !

hi!

> I would like to buy Novint Falcon for use with VMD.

good.

> 1. Can I do do without any problems ( :-) (i think so)

for as long as you are using it under linux,
i would think so, too. ;)

http://goo.gl/xyJR

> 3. Where can i buy it ?

https://home.novint.com/store/store.php

it says international shipping available.
if you have any problems, please let me
know. i am in contact with the novint CEO
and he is very supportive of any scientific
applications of his product.

> On the net i found the company , and the price is 295 $ it sound to
> me quite cheap because Phantom will cost about 12 000 € to 20 000 €

yes, that is correct, and if you use vrpn-icms as referral code,
you will get another 20% off. ;-)

the low price has 3 reasons.
- it has only 3 degrees of freedom
- the handle has a shorter range and
  that is not regular
- it is mass produced (for gaming).

> Does anybody has any expierence with it

yes. you might need customized VMD binaries
with an updated VPRN client code (in some
cases the standard ones work) and a patched
VRPN server (linux binaries are available
from my home page listed above)

there have been successful demonstrations
at ISC10, GTC10 and a bunch of other conferences.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/