From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 16:42:00 CDT

Hi,
  Please follow the directions in the README file.
You need to run the configure script, and then cd into the
src directory, and then do the make install, e.g.:
  cd vmd-1.8.7
  ./configure
  cd src
  make install

This will result in VMD getting installed as /usr/local/bin/vmd
unless you have changed something otherwise.

Once installed, you can run it by having it in your path and
just typing "vmd", or by running the startup script directly,
as "/usr/local/bin/vmd".

If you still get some kind of error, please give us a
transcript of exactly what you typed and the exact error message.