From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2010 - 09:23:14 CDT

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM, TRINH Minh Hieu <mhtrinh_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used tcl script to build movie with VMD 1.8.7.
> On the previous version 1.8.6, after a "source" (eg source myscript.tcl)
> command, I can stop the sourcing with a Ctrl+C and it give me back the
> control "vmd >"
> On the current version 1.8.7, whenenver I make a Ctrl+C, it kills the whole
> VMD :-(.

the latter would, in fact, be the expected behavior.
if you want to change this, you would have to
program a "signal handler" that traps this signal
and then does something meaningful. to do this
in the middle of script execution would make
VMD return to a somewhat undefined state. i am
not sure if this would be good.

> How can I kill just a "child process" in vmd ? Is there a special option to
> add when invoking vmd ?

a script is _not_ a child process. you would have to
write your script in a way that it is interruptible, i.e. that
it checks the keyboard for input and that it runs the
event handler to trap this input.

cheers,
    axel.

> Regards,

>    M. TRINH Minh Hieu
>    CEA, IBEB, SBTN/LIRM,
>    Tél : 04 66 79 19 44
>    F-30207 Bagnols-sur-Cèze, FRANCE

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/