From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2010 - 00:10:26 CDT

Hi!

I have started using VMD 1.8.7 openGL 32bit and I noticed that it no
longer opens an external terminal window, instead it uses the same
terminal from which it was started. I would prefer the old behavior. By
looking at the script in bin/vmd I see that the text at the very end is
commented out:

# # if DISPLAY is set, spawn off a terminal, else use current terminal
# if ($?DISPLAY) then
# if ("$VMDWEBHELPER" == "1") then
## exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
## "$MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $*
# exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
# "env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH $MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $*
# else
## exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
## "$MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $* &
# exec $VMD_WINTERM -T "vmd console" $VMD_WINGEOM $VMD_WINOPTS \
# "env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH $MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $*
&
# endif
# else
     $vmdprefixcmd "$MASTERVMDDIR/$execname" $*
# endif

If I uncomment it, except the ##, I get the old window behavior back. Why
did the developers decide to hide this part of the script?

Thanks,

      Gianluca

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca_at_u.washington.edu
                     +1 (206) 685 4435
                     http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/

Postdoc at the Department of Bioengineering