From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 14:28:01 CDT

Rob,
  Although it might be possible to cross compile from linux
or to use cygwin or other tools, this is not how we have the
VMD build system setup. To compile on Windows with our scripts
and makefiles etc you will need Microsoft's commercial
development tools and the cygwin make utilities etc installed.
Out of curiosity, what code changes are you making that require
a special compilation?