From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2010 - 14:59:54 CDT

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 20:18 +0200, Meyer-Almes, Franz-Josef, Prof. Dr.
wrote:
> Dear all,

dear franz,

> I use VMD 1.8.7 under Windows XP.
>
> When I load the following .gro file, the bromo atom is depicted as a
> tiny single point and not connected to the aromatic C2 atom as it
> should. The distance is not too far from the expected distance between
> a bromo atom and the corresponding C atom.

right. same here.

> After energy minimization of the drug molecule the distance between
> BR1 and C2 is 1.89 Angstrom. Even the minimized structure is not
> depicted correctly.

> Do you have a remedy for the observed behaviour?

yes. the reason for this is that the .gro file does
not contain any bonding information, so VMD would have
to guess. this kind of guess is very difficult, since
there is no indication that atom BR1 is a bromium atom.
however, knowing the element determined the radius to
be used when guessing the bonding structure.

the element guessing in VMD is based on PDB naming
conventions, where the second letter indicates the
position in the residue. thus in this case the guess
is likely to be wrong.

the remedy is to correct the information. this can be
done with a vmd script or some commands typed interactively.
for example like this:

set sel [atomselect top {name "BR.*"}]
$sel set element Br
$sel set radius 1.85
mol bondsrecalc top

you may have to trigger a full redraw, e.g. by
changing the representation to see the new bond.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/