From: Steve Smith (sas_at_lava3d.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2010 - 09:39:59 CDT

Thanks to Josh and Axel on their responses...

I am (more) confident now that I can achieve what I need to here, but that the path might be a little cluttered along the way.

So far, my problems have been precisely what Josh refers to here... getting includes and libraries in places that VMD can find them and/or pointing them out to the VMD makefile.

I'm stuck now on a (simple?) misunderstanding:

    ld: warning: in ../lib/actc/lib_MACOSXX86/libactc.a, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

this error comes up on all (many?) of the libraries I so carefully downloaded and built...  most (all?) of which had no way to specify any architecture or a ./configure, etc..

fumbling around, I tried the following which merely reinforces that I don't really know what I'm doing here.   Any OSX (or other) Wizards who can help sort me out?

$ ld -v libactc.a
@(#)PROGRAM:ld  PROJECT:ld64-97.2
Library search paths:
    /usr/lib
    /usr/local/lib
Framework search paths:
    /Library/Frameworks/
    /System/Library/Frameworks/
ld: warning: -arch not specified
ld: could not find entry point "start" (perhaps missing crt1.o) for inferred architecture x86_64

- Steve