From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2010 - 17:28:21 CDT

hi steve,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Steve Smith <sas_at_lava3d.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble building VMD from source on OSX 10.6

which kind of trouble exactly.

> On one hand, I'm finding a large number of dependencies that I need to
> manually download, build and link into the VMD build system.  I am guessing
> that I am missing something about how the build system is supposed to work?

the VMD build system is designed to produce binaries that can be
used on as large a variety of OS and hardware combinations as possible.
for that to work, a lot of libraries are compiled separately and linked in
statically, that also could be used natively. you can either follow this
method, or change the configure script or the resulting makefile to suit
your needs. that is what i do on my linux machines. not sure how well
this works with MacOSX. i remember that there are a couple of gotchas.

> On the other hand, all the references I find are to OSX 10.2 and 10.3, so
> I'm wondering if there is up-to-date support for 10.6 building?

typically, comments are about the platforms that are available to john for
building and as already noted above, he tries to build on as old as
possible OS versions, so that the maximum number of users can use
the pre-compiled binaries. since OSes may have backward compatibility,
but next to never any forward compatibility.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/