From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 10:00:08 CDT

Hi,
  At the present time, there's not a way to rapidly "fast forward"
to an arbitrary frame of an XTC file in VMD, the time it's currently
taking is due to the need for the current version of the XTC reader
plugin to parse its way through the trajectory up to the starting
frame you have specified.

I didn't personally write the gromacs plugins
in VMD, so I'll have to investigate whether it will be possible to
improve this behavior in a future version.

For the time being I would recommend chopping your trajectories into
smaller chunks to make it easier to process frames near the end of
the trajectory.

I don't know if Gromacs provides tools for this or not, but I would
expect that Gromacs might have the best tools for splitting or
concatenating the XTC files efficiently. Once split, you could then
work with them for efficiently in VMD from then on, particularly if
you're accessing only the last parts of a trajectory and not processing
the entire thing.