From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 00:01:41 CDT

Hi,
  If you're going to compile from source, you'll likely want to
use one of the configuration combinations from the Makefile in the
top level VMD directory. At the very least you'll need to add FLTK to
your configuration flags.

The problem you're having with the GLX error is probably caused by the
freeglut package importing the Mesa library, intefering with correct
operation of whatever vendor's OpenGL driver you had installed previously.

If you're not feeling adventurous enough to deal with all of this, you will
likely find it much easier to install either the LINUX or LINUXAMD64
VMD binary package as appropriate for your hardware and linux distribution.