From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 12:23:01 CDT

Edward,
  To accomplish what you have in mind, the easiest method would
be to draw the points as graphics objects with a script, with
each frame in a different molecule. From there, you would animate
the movie using the multimolanim plugin. This would get you past
the issue with varying particle counts, and treating the points as
atoms, etc. Let me know if you need more guidance to get it going.
Ultimately I intend to provide a means of rendering trajectories
of arbitrary particle systems alongside normal molecules in VMD, but
at present the method I describe above is the only thing that's currently
feasible.