From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 11:52:30 CDT

Hi,
  It would seem that you compiled VMD incorrectly. Here are the flags
I normally use when we compile VMD:
  ./configure LINUX OPENGL FLTK TK IMD VRPN SILENT LIBSBALL XINPUT TCL PTHREADS ACTC LIBTACHYON NETCDF CUDA XINERAMA

If you're shooting for a minimalist build, you can use something like this:
  ./configure LINUX OPENGL FLTK TK TCL PTHREADS SILENT

See the VMD programmer's guide info here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/compiling.html#compiling