From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 15:32:29 CDT

Hi,
  Interesting. We haven't seen this behavior for a while, though I
am familiar with what you're talking about. When I experienced that
behavior it seemed to be combination of the Window manager and XFree86
driver that made it occur.

I also saw the exact same problem when I used ImageMagick to view
large images on the same machine(s), with the same window manager.
Try loading a large image with ImageMagick and tell me if you encounter
the same problem. ImageMagick isn't even using OpenGL, its just doing
simple X calls to display bitmaps, so it should be somewhat
independent of the NVidia OpenGL drivers, though it will obviously still
exercise the video card substantially.

The images I loaded that gave trouble were VMD pictures I rendered with
Tachyon at 4096x4096 resolution for journal covers people were doing.
I experienced exactly the same problems you describe, and on the same
machine both VMD and ImageMagick triggered the issue.
Naturally, out of curiosity I compared the X event
processing code in VMD and in ImageMagick, but they have very little
in common, so I didn't see anything that they'd be doing similarly that
would explain the odd behavior I experienced on Linux.

For what its worth, I've NEVER seen this behavior on any of the
commercial Unix systems, even when using the same window managers on them
as I used on Linux. I suspect its an interaction between XFree86 and
the window manager(s) in question.

We made some changes in the way VMD does event processing so that
resize events aren't nearly as "agressive" as they used to be, but
perhaps we need to take another look at this. Do you observe this
behavior on any other machines besides yours?

Thanks,