From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 18:48:56 CDT

Sanjeev,
  Assuming you're using one of the versions of VMD that has ACTC built-in,
then yes, VMD does post-processing of the triangulated geometry returned by
MSMS so that instead of a random list of triangles, we get what is called a
"triangle strip". This gives VMD up to 3x speed improvement over just
rendering the triangles as-is. Basically ACTC finds neighboring triangles
and orders the vertices in a special way so that we can render them with
OpenGL with a 66% reduction in the number of vertex transformations
required. If you're curious, visit the ACTC web site here:
  http://www.plunk.org/~grantham/public/actc/index.html

Enjoy,