From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2010 - 08:59:42 CDT

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Rabab Toubar <rtoubar_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need the .psf file as we have in house codes used for analysis and these use .psf and .dcd as in case of NAMD.

> I tried to load the .gro or .pdb files and save coordinates as psf, but this is not an option in the drop down menu in vmd; is there a way I can do it in tcl?

of course:

animate write psf myfile.psf

> I do have disulfide bonds- if this what you meant by unusual bonds.
>
> In the meantime I will try in gromacs to get the .top file from the .gro and see if this would work to get the .psf.

one possible alternative (untested):

#load .gro and .psf file into vmd
set mol1 [mol new myfile.psf waitfor all]
set mol2 [mol new myfile.gro waitfor all]
set sel1 [atomselect $mol1 all]
set sel2 [atomselect $mol2 water]

# merge selections into new molecule.
package require topotools
::TopoTools::selections2mol "$sel1 $sel2"

# write out new molecule
animate write psf combined.psf