From: Reid Van Lehn (rvanlehn_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 23:11:38 CDT

Hey guys,

Thank you for the help so far! I'm still not sure what caused all of those
errors but I started the compilation process over. I was using the incorrect
system architecture on my previous builds (MACOSX, whereas now I'm using
MACOSXX86_64) and recreated the plugin directory, and configured using the

 MACOSXX86_64 FLTK TK TCL SILENT

options. Now, upon running 'make' in the vmd/src directory it seems to
compile all of the files successfully, but fails with:

Linking vmd_MACOSXX86_64 ...
ln: ./foobar: File exists
ld: library not found for -ltk8.5-x11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [vmd_MACOSXX86_64] Error 1

where -ltk8.5-x11 is the first library listed in the LIBS line of the
Makefile. I previously installed tcl and tk to the vmd/lib directory using
the unix installation (not macosx one) with the --enable-64bit flag on. I
can't seem to find any libraries that correspond to the one sought for (the
libtk8.5.dylib file is there, however). I figure this is an issue with my
tcl/tk installation but thought you might be able to offer advice since I
haven't had any luck yet. I do have X11 installed, and the -lx11 library was
found successfully (after modifying my LIBDIRS slightly).

Any advice on this problem would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Reid

--
Reid Van Lehn